What is the Home Plan Design Process?
Custom homes first start with the floor plans. This process of planning and designing a custom home will be new for many of you. With all of the moving parts and pieces, our design team works hand-in-hand with you to develop a custom floor plan. We will work with you from the pre-design phase to your final plans.
- Pre-design and research is the perfect place to begin planning your custom home experience. It all begins with our design team working with you on the following:
The First Rendition/floor plan & design-schematic development is the first plan design that provides you with an aerial view of the plan.
- Creating a timeline for design and construction
- Creating budgetary targets for this project
- Gathering resources to guide the project, including the current boundary survey, site cost evaluation, soil reports, HOA guidelines
- Covering expectations to give you a positive experience
- Guiding you through the overall journey
With Subsequent Renditions, the designer can provide more interior details (built-ins and cabinetry locations, flooring types, kitchen and vanity layouts with plumbing locations, and electrical plans) and exterior elevations. It also includes any future spaces you are planning to have. The new set of plans now has enough information to create a sales price for the new plan to move forward with a construction contract. Final Plans/Construction Drawings go into even more detail than the subsequent renditions. This plan contains exact measurements for walls, door swings, exterior door styles, square footage for flooring types and countertops, optional items, etc. You, the homeowner, review and sign off on the plans before they are sent to our 3rd party engineers to design and stamp the foundation and framing plans.
- Square footage - Our team can design for you based on any HOA/POA requirements you have for your target square footage. Kurk Homes calculates the living square footage with the exterior footage. The first rendition notates these calculations.
- Flow of Home - After notating your square footage, it’s time for you to envision yourself in the new home. It includes adding windows, patios, glass panels, and exterior doors where you want to take in the views.
- Coming and going - Each of these house plans includes another focus point being the location of the garage and entry into the house. You’ll have to make decisions about spaces to include in these, such as closet spaces, mudrooms, or separate entrances from these spaces.
For more inspiration, Kurk Home’s Southern Living-inspired collection can help you create your dream custom home plans whether you’re starting from scratch or you’re interested in ranch-style, farmhouse style, craftsman, new American, Mediterranean, contemporary, colonial, Southern Living plans, or whatever your personal style is. Contact us today to discuss building the custom home of your dreams.
What is Further Customizable in Our Custom Home Plans?
If you’ve been asking where to find custom home plans, look no further than the talented Design Team at Kurk Homes. You can view some of our floorplan options below to get an idea of some plan design options. Our plan designers create a custom set of plans for your home with additional options to be customized for your family, including the following:
- Ceiling heights and details have many options ranging from recessed tray ceilings to cathedral or barrel-vaulted ceilings to the height of the arches separating rooms.
- Door and window sizes are listed on plans with width first, then height. You have plenty of choices for door options, including solid core doors, French doors, the overall window panes on a door, Dutch doors, etc.
- Window details are more than just width and height; they involve decisions about single- or double-hung windows, fixed/non-operable windows, tempered glass, butted glass, and so much more.
- Wall details involve noting the thickness by the width of the wall for interior walls, living exterior walls, garage walls, and plumbing walls.
- Flooring notes on a plan include stained concrete, carpeting, tile, wood, wood decking, vinyl tile, or exterior non-decorative concrete for the foundation or flatwork pour.
- Cabinetry, built-ins, and sink types are numerous in form and function, depending on under-mount or apron front kitchen and utility sinks; built-in desks, lockers, floating shelves, closet racks; and linen cabinets, knee space under a vanity, or kitchen islands.
- Electrical and plumbing notes are incredibly important. On floor plans, some electrical and plumbing notes feature the option for further discussion between you and our design team. Those noted as optional are not in the original price.
- Exterior elevations are not just simply about the curb view; they are so much more. There are the trim details like shutters, wrapped trusses, and material, metal and shingle roofing, and masonry material such as brick, siding, stucco, stone, and board and batten.
The smallest of details in a custom set of plans is not just important to you but also to our design team. We take pride in providing you with a “no surprises” policy by maintaining constant communication with you throughout the plan creation and building process to offer affordable quality-constructed custom homes with a 20-year structural warranty. Discover how Greater Houston and Texas Hill Country home builders, Kurk Homes, dive into the details to make your dream home a reality.
Find Inspiration Browsing Through Our Custom Home Floor Plans
At Kurk Homes, we are Built on Tradition, and we have been designing and building from the Gulf Coast to the Hill Country for over 30 years. We've perfected the process of building and designing homes to breathe life into your vision. Browse through our customizable floor plan to find inspiration for your new home.
Not sure where to start? Take our pre-design questionnaire »